Saturday, August 19, 2006

And now for something completely different...

I'm not really a great chef, but from time to time I stumble across recipes which really work for me.

The recipes I copy down to put into my box include ingredients that I understand (none of this mascarpone and aubergine guff), use easy techniques (mix, stir, pour, melt...) and work out when I make them! Even better, they make me look like a good cook!

Here's a French Chocolate Sliver Cake. Sounds impressive hey?

125g butter
200g dark chocolate chopped
1 cup caster sugar
4 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp plain flour

Melt the butter and chocolate over a low heat. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the beaten eggs and flour, and stir to combine. Bake at 180C for 50 mins. It should have crisp edges and a soft centre.

Allow the cake to cool. Then melt 125g dark chocolate and 1/2 cup of cream together. Pour over the cake and spread. Cut into slivers and serve.

You could serve with cream or icecream, strawberries, berries or any other nice looking fruit. I had too many oranges in my fridge, so I peeled three or four, cut them across into thin slices, juiced another whole orange, added a few teaspoons of sugar and sort of sploshed a few spoonfuls on top of each slice of cake. It was absolutely scrumptious.

2 comments:

overthere said...

Is that part of the diet?! Well, I guess you said no bread and potatoes!

Cecily said...

Short answer is: there are cake days and there are non-cake days! No bread and potatoes makes it possible to enjoy the cake days!