Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Memories and what they are made of

It's seven o'clock and husband and daughter are in the next room working on their Bible memory. They've decided to memorize the first chapter of the book of James together, and frankly I think she's doing better than he is! Little brains are like sponges, soaking it all up.

I think it's a wonderful thing to do, even though I'm taking the lazy option. As an 11 year old I had to memorize long Bible passages as part of our regular school curriculum. I can still recite two of them word for word - interestingly enough, they are the first two I learned for the year.

"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart, do not let me stray from your commands..." etc is from Psalm 119 (and no, we didn't learn the entire thing).

I've promised her that I'll buy her an icecream when she gets to 10 verses recited perfectly. It won't take long!

No comments: