Thursday, May 03, 2007

Just not a kid person

When I was a child, there were a few grown-ups whom I absolutely adored. Why? Because they had genuine time for children. They played with us, thought about us and planned treats. I could tell the difference between them and normal grownups who were far more interested in their own things to be bothered wtih kids.

I made a promise to myself in 1981, when I was eight, that I would be one of the children-loving grown-ups that I loved so much. I would remember how it felt to be a child. I would take out time to let children know that they are special.

Sorry - I never kept my promise. I still remember what it's like to be a child, but being with children (in general) tends to drain me and make me cross.

I thought I had it under control and that I am reasonable, if not nice, to most children, most of the time, but...

...fast forward to 2007: I'm telling this story to my extended family, with the seven year old daughter in listening earshot.

I say, "Yes, I wanted to be one of those people who just loves children..."

She pipes up, "but you're just not, are you mum!"

I think she knows me more than I like to think.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I have to say , as a kid I didn't warm to the adults who were good with kids - I tended to think they were trying too hard. I liked being left alone!