Sunday, August 19, 2007

Vegie garden update

I planted the vegetable garden about three months ago. Here are the ratings.

Poor: cabbage/cauli/broccoli variety seedlings. I have lots and lots of leaves and absolutely no cabbage, cauli or broccoli. Perhaps I should eat the leaves in stir-fry?

Medium: cos lettuce and baby spinach leaves. Obviously need more water than I give them as they are a bit tough.

Still alive: chives and strawberries. Good for the strawberries - they'll last until the warmer weather, but I'll pull out the chives because I haven't eaten any.

Raging and rampant success: coriander! I have never ever before succeeded with coriander and this time I have a bushy plant that just doesn't die! I look forward to my weekly Sunday night omelette with tomato, cheese and coriander very much!

4 comments:

Megan said...

we are about to plant a vegie garden to take advantage of our new compost heap. what to plant???? re the chives, some years back I had a herb pot I sadly neglected - but the chives didn't care - they flourished whatever I did - and yeah I just didn't eat chives that much...

Kris said...

Do you have a bird net? The birds love to eat the young cabbage/cauli/broccoli buds. We've had the same problem with our cauli & broccoli. I know the solution, but haven't had the time to fix it.

Very jealous re the coriander - is it seedy coriander, or leafy? The chives can go a bit rampant if left to their own devices in a garden. Best for pots.

Cecily said...

Bird net... sounds too hard. Perhaps I'll just avoid them in the future!
The coriander I think is leafy coriander. (But I didn't know there was a difference.) I sound like the complete novice that I am, dont I! Put it this way - it hasn't gone to seed yet.

Kris said...

I'm very jealous - the only coriander I've been able to find bolts to seed after it's grown four leaves! Where did you find it?