Monday, October 22, 2007

46... really?

For the record I was born in 1973. That makes me 34 years old. And it's true I was having a bad bad hair day, but I was still a little shocked when the eight-year old said, "Mum, you look pretty old. You've got a lot of wrinkles."

"Do you think I look older than Sarah?" I asked her.

"About the same," she said.

"What about Glenys or Belinda?" I asked.

"Oh, they're a lot younger than you," she said.

Uh, uh. The whole lot of them are more than three years older than me - one up to five years older.

The next day, just to rub salt in the wound, my daughter said in deep thought and consideration, "Mum, I think you look about 46 years old."

Man, I gotta get my hair done.

3 comments:

Prue said...

Similar thing happened to my not-quite 30 year old brother-in-law - an infants teacher. The kids in his class thought he was 80!

Jessica Lowe said...

Cecily - no! You look great!!

Kids sometimes don't have a firm grasp on numbers. I wrote a 'profile' about my family when i was in Kindy or Yr 1 and I wrote 'I'm not sure how old my Dad is but I'm pretty sure he's 14'.....ahemmmmmm!!

Jessica Lowe said...

BTW...I can't tell those other three in order of their ages compared to you!