Thursday, January 24, 2008

Know-it-all

I think I'm turning into a patronising know-it-all snob. I'm not happy about it but it's really hard to stop doing it. (Perhaps I've always been this way?)

When people start talking about subjects I know a bit about or am enthusiastic about, I feel myself taking over and adding just a little extra bit of information here and there. I bluff over things I don't know and I can feel the ego creeping in.

At a birthday party the other day, my friend had made delicious meatballs with flaxseeds in them. I had seen the recipe already, so I knew what was in them.

"What are the seeds?" her sister asked her. And instead of waiting for my friend to answer, I chimed in "Flaxseeds. Great source of Omega 3 and 6. Very good for the brain. You can get LSA mix in the supermarket which is also really great."

Why? Why can't I just keep my mouth shut and wait to be asked? I just so don't want to be a know-it-all, but it is a temptation which I almost cannot bear.

I'm not sure that this blog is much good in stemming the tide of know-it-all-ism either. Here I've got a forum which is almost unchecked!

The root of it must be a desire to be better than others, which comes out of a lack of love for others and a feeling of inadequacy.

Does anyone else have this problem?

7 comments:

Megan said...

I suffer a bit from this too!!! Being a bit shyer, I don't always express it, but I'm not sure this is a sign of my good restraint, just inhibition! I think it is the bad side of something good about both of us - I am a natural teacher - I love sharing what I have learnt - I just realised that I am enjoying my youngest a lot more now he is into the teachable age. But being a teacher isn't always the appropriate role for every situation, as I have to remind myself too.

Sophie said...

Oh yes, I do too. Its almost overpowering at times and you feel you really can't do anything but say it outloud. If you keep it in you feel so dissatisfied and frustrated, until you calm down and realize they didn't actually need that information at all anyway!! And it stretches to giving advice too! Its so hard just to listen to someone and love them and not try and 'fix' them or tell them what you think they should do. Something I seem to be continuously working on!!!

Prue said...

I'm more of a listener. I hate people giving me their advice unasked for.

By the way Cecily, I believe flaxseed is also good for skin elasticity!

Kris said...

Argh! Me too! I find myself bluffing and stepping in far too quickly. I was rather ashamed of myself when there was video evidence of speaking before listening last week. I am heard very confidently telling my son that the car stopped on the racetrack had a flat tyre, when it became very clear that I had no idea what I was talking about!

Unknown said...

Okay, Prue, you're the exception to the rule then. I certainly find myself in similar circumstances. At it's best, I simply want to share some information I know with someone else to help them. At it's worst, I want to prove that there is something worthwhile about me, just in case you didn't think there was!

Cecily said...

Ha! I'm so glad you're all (with the exception of Prue, although that's dubious, given the skin elasticity comment) like me!

Kris said...

And thank you for your lovely comment on my blog today. Advice is a great thing to receive when you truly need it - and I did! :)