Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Degrees of separation

My husband and I attended a dinner for Anglican ministers and their spouses from our immediate region last night. Out of the 20 or so people who attended, I had at least 12 personal connections with:

  • One lady who had been in a bible study with my grandmother for years.
  • A couple who had originally come from the same church as my other grandmother and who had known me since I was tiny.
  • A man who gave my dad a job about 15 years ago and met me before I was married.
  • A woman who had been on a Moore College Mission to my dad's church in Gunnedah when I was in Year 12.
  • A man who was in the same year at Bible college as my father.
  • A woman who knows a girl with whom I went to school in Pakistan.
  • Four people (at least) who had read the book I wrote.
  • A couple who know my parents quite well and who are taking over a parish where my aunt and uncle used to work.
  • One woman who asked me directly if I was related to said aunt (whom she knows), without knowing that we had any connection, just from my mannerisms.
  • A couple whose daughter married the son of some friends of ours from Dapto.
  • A man who I worked with a little at CMS.
  • A couple who went to the same church as us over three years ago.
  • There was only one person who I seemed to have no direct link with... but he was the son of one of the others!

Anglican circles are small.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Imagine then what Baptist circles are like......

Beth said...

It is sometimes very surprising how connections between people seem to crop up. For example, my dad was a professor at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. After retiring several years ago, he moved from northwestern PA to the eastern panhandle of West Virginia -- probably close to 300 miles away. Since being down her here has stumbled across several people who had had him for classes way back when. Small world!

And talking about connections... Cecily, I've "tagged" you on my blog! *grin*