Friday, June 20, 2008

Being honest

Almost worse than gossip for teenage girls is the conversation that begins, "let's be really honest and tell everyone else what we think of them..."

Or "I don't want you to take this the wrong way but..."

Or "no offense, but...

It's so easy to say these things but they will take it the wrong way and there will be offense. I still think my bottom sticks out too much because my friend April told me so in a fit of honesty when I was 14.

I'm sure I have told people things "for their own good" but actually I think I told them because it felt cool to do it at the time. It gave me some power over them and allowed me to insult them while pretending it was honest and therefore righteous.

My mother's wisdom has been proven right again and again as I have taken the three rules she gave me to heart. Before you say anything ask yourself these three questions: is it true? Is it kind? Is it helpful?

Two out of three is not good enough. Make it three out of three and you will keep your friends.

1 comment:

Prue said...

Funny, I never noticed that your bottom was taking up half the lecture theatre in CU at Uni. Perhaps its not as big as you think! ; )